Thursday, 18 July 2013

Experimenting with different finishes

10'' Chip carved basswood plate, finished with water based lacquer and oil based gel stain:


6'' Chip carved basswood candle holder, with similar pattern as the plate, finished the same way:

Chip carved practice board, I like the gel stain on this kind of carving (foliage) I am probably not going to use it anymore on the plates with more geometrical designs:


The difference between chip carved coasters with the same design of swirl rosette.
From left to right - oil based polyurethane finish, water based lacquer, water based lacquer with water based wiping stain:


The middle one looks the best for me but I am going to try to use some tinted lacuer, not to keep the too pale colour of basswood. I don't like how the wiping stain looks though it doesn't look too bad in the picture, the dark walnut colour of the stain is also unfortunate for this specific carving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers