Wednesday, 16 October 2013

Wabbajack - Elder Scrolls

Fully hand carved Wabbajack staff, the daedric artifact of Sheogorath from the Elder Scrolls series.
It has 54'' in length and is carved by the Skyrim artwork:


The details of faces on the carving:





A screen-shot from the game:


The .gif file done by Alana Reddin:


Work in progress

The 3''x3''x12'' basswood block used for the top of the staff, divided into three equal sizes:


Beginning of the carving with a suitable size haft bought in a hardware store.
The haft is sanded as this point and will be used to finish the staff.



Slowly adding the details and sanding the surface:


Basically the tools seen on the table are all the tools I used during the process, 
two knives, a v-tool gouge and a bigger gouge for rough work:



The top and bottom part of the staff attached together, still more carving needs to be done on the bears and especially on the connection.
I used some sort of double-sided screw and glue to connect the pieces.
It worked well, considering I don't have any workshop to measure those things properly,
it was all done 'on the knee' :


The connection is more polished here:



The process of carving is finished here:





Three coats of water based lacquer and a regular acrylic paint:


Eventually I used mahogany gel stain for more 'wooden' look.
The staff looks metallic in its original form but I didn't want to hide it is a wood carving.
The whole process of creating it took around 23 hours:


Finished Wabbajack, the two garbage bins behind me used to be trolls,
and yeah I don't have any cool armor:


20 comments:

  1. hahaha, You sure showed those trolls who the boss is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have great skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krásné Aleši :) (y) .Hra Skyrim je jistě bezedná studnice pro tvou inspiraci :). Gandalf by mohl závidět.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gandalf? Jo, to je ten týpek, který se vždycky ztratí, aby zařídil něco hrozně důležitého. Ten by v provincii Skyrim nepřežil ani jednu no :)

      Delete
  4. I will buy that from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the request of someone willing to pay, would you make another?

      Delete
    2. Yeah, but it is quite pricey project - compared to my other work.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I could but it is a fairly expensive carving considering how long it takes to finish, the shipping also adds.
      Send me a message in the 'contact me' section if You are seriously interested.

      Delete
  6. Just wanted to let you know, Ales, that I'm the original designer/creator of the Wabbajack, and I'm blown away by the work you've done here. Truly great stuff, man. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Jonah, that is the best praise I could have received! Your artwork is amazing and I am glad You appreciate mine (though I don't understand how this particular one is inspiring when I used the original artwork as a source).

      Delete
  7. Heads up, just sent this on over to Wes Johnson (the voice of Sheogorath)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have a youtube channel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kevin,
      Nope, I've been thinking of making one for carving videos but I never do any videos, heh.
      I might one day though...

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh, this is the most detailed and incredible piece of Skyrim Cosplay that I have ever seen. I'm a novice collector of these items, and I've already seen others offer to buy one from you. On empty my pockets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank You for the praise, I am glad You like it. I won't be able to make another one any time soon though, I am way too busy with my 'regular' carvings during the summer season.

      Delete

Followers