Sunday, 25 May 2014

Magic the Gathering - new ideas for card boxes

Another wave of MTG (Commander) card boxes.
I had an interesting custom request which made me experiment with the card boxes I use for chip carving.
I was asked to make a box that would resemble the card Sarpadian Empires, Vol. VII - though I couldn't make the full design as the card boxes are pre-made, I was able to create the book like shape and get the job done. Here is the first experimental box and one more traditional:


The book box in detail, only the top is chip carved, the sides and the front are carved with larger carving knife and few gouges:



And the fully chip carved box done in a very traditional Gothic style, 
it is my most intricate design for a MTG box so far:



And this is the earlier mentioned custom order.
The box is finished with clear lacquer as it will be stained by the person who requested it:


The image was hard to create but my girl helped a lot to change the dimension of the original artwork,
I added some additional design on the bottom and the top so it wouldn't appear so empty:


Finished carving before the lacquer application:


9 comments:

  1. Creative "book box", Ales. I like how you stretch the boundaries with your chip carving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ales not sure your still around I do scroll saw work and am very interested to know how you made these boxes? From the box itself to the carving. Thank you
    Shan M sprague

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shawn,

      I don't make the boxes, I do just the carvings. It's chip carving technique.

      Ales

      Delete
    2. Awesome work man. I looked at some of your other stuff and shared your page on Facebook.

      Do you buy the boxes? My son wants me to make him a Magic box using the scrollart.

      Delete
    3. Awesome work man. I looked at some of your other stuff and shared your page on Facebook.

      Do you buy the boxes? My son wants me to make him a Magic box using the scrollart.

      Delete
    4. Yep, I buy them from Mychipcarving.com If You use scroll saw You can probably make them out of something cheaper than basswood.

      Delete
  3. Awesome Thanks very much. I also favorited your etsy shop. I own woodbites on etsy. Just like you I have made more than I what I have on Etsy. Again I am just amazed by your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Thanks very much. I also favorited your etsy shop. I own woodbites on etsy. Just like you I have made more than I what I have on Etsy. Again I am just amazed by your work.

    ReplyDelete

Followers