Sunday 1 March 2015

Deku Butler's Son from The Legend of Zelda

Small figurine carving of Deku Butler's Son from the game The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
It is in the round carving in cottonwood bark and it stands 7.5'' tall.
The piece was carved as a custom request and is not for sale.


The branches are thicker than in the original artwork, it was carvable but I was afraid the finished piece would be too fragile. For the same reason all leaves were carved individually.


I had to find a nice thick piece of bark to be able to do full dimensional carving, if I wanted to carve the ''legs'' as seen in the game artwork, I'd need to carve the whole piece way smaller - so it could stay on the base without attaching to another piece of wood. That is why I decided to keep the legs sturdy, the carving can stands as it is.


The leaves are attached with the help of tiny toothpicks, they can be eventually glued on if desired.


The carved piece before the applied finish. I used linseed oil on eyes and mouth to give a slight colour distinction, water based lacquer was used afterwards.


Followers