Saturday 9 December 2017

Preparing cottonwood bark for winter carvings...

I received around 70kg of cottonwood bark last month and it took me some time to sort it out properly. I used to simply keep the boxes with bark in the shed but when I wanted to carve something specific it took me forever to find the right piece. So I started sorting the bark right away, I cut the brittle and too thin pieces right away to be used for ornaments and divide the good pieces by size and uniqueness. The fire going on in the back is from unused driftwood I kept for too long.

Few hours later - huge chunks of bark on the very bottom of the shelving unit, the most unique pieces on the second shelf, pieces that I am going to use the soonest on the third shelf and finally random medium sized pieces on the top. The two boxes are filled with cuts for ornaments, there must be over 140 of them, surely enough to keep me busy.